This is an ongoing course asignment for my marketing class at Keene State.

Friday, March 26, 2010

the Overspent American Response


"The Overspent American: Why We Want What We Don't Need" is a video concentrating on the new wave of consumerism in America. It shows the transition of what persona Americans want to portray from keeping up with the jones' to a new millionaire appearance. This shift has led to increase awareness and concern with appearance, and living a life of luxury. Throughout this film we see how Americans are increasingly going into debt. They say the price to live comfortable and for essentials is unreachable. 25% of Americans with a household income of over $100,000 say that it is not enough for basic necessities. The spread of rich and poor and our values in the United States are deteriorating. It is a large concern that the United States is going to lead to its own deterioration. Everyone has to be bigger and better instead of comfortable, or better for the environment, or better for themselves!
This want for more is being taken advantage of by the marketing world. Using celebrities to model a new clothing line ect. I work in a Williams-Sonoma, a kitchen chain, where constantly items are promoted by food network stars. The stress on appearance is driving Americans into debt because of big houses in developments, fancy cars, and fancy clothes.
Personally I find myself falling into this downward trend when it comes to clothes and shoes, and I hope I do not slide to deep. Now I am looking at the negative sides of it, and am trying to support local, live in moderation, and increase awareness of the green movement. Also, watch my credit card, and be aware of what I have. How can I avoid being an overspent American?

No comments:

Post a Comment